THINGS TO DO IN YOUR FREE TIME
in batu arang
FOOTBALL & BASKETBALL
In the evenings, between 5:30 - 7:30 pm on weekdays, youngsters play basketball and football at the field near the secondary school. Volunteers can join them for games.
MALAY TRADITIONAL MARTIAL ARTS
Every Friday evening, from 9 pm onwards, the town folk organise traditional SILAT martial arts classes near the fire station. Volunteers are welcome to join these classes or hang around as spectators.
SUNDAY MORNING MARKET
Although there is a morning market everyday at the town square, the Sunday morning market is the busiest and biggest. This is a good time to taste local treats, buy fruits, vegetables, and clothes. The best time to visit the market is from 7 am to 10 am.
FISHING AT THE FARM
Volunteers can go fishing for tilapia at the Positive Living Community Farm once a week, and they are allowed to take home their catch for the evening.
EXPLORE REMNANTS OF BATU ARANG's HISTORICAL PAST
trips offered by positive living community
MOVIE NIGHTS (12 km away)
There is a TGV cinema at AEON Mall. Wednesday nights are discounted movie ticket nights, at RM 9 per movie ticket. Depending on availability, Positive Living Community provides transportation for movie nights, which can end pass midnight. If there is interest, volunteers can also visit a local hawker stall before/after the movie, to have dinner or supper. A contribution of RM 8 per person covers transport and driver's expenses.
TRIP TO SUNGAI CHILLING WATERFALLS OR PERTAK RIVER (61 km away)
This is an all day trip saved for weekends. We leave at 9 am and get back around 7 pm. Brunch will be at a local food stall that serves great laksa. After which, the option is to go to the Pertak River or do a one hour trek, which also involves crossing the river 6 times to get to the Chilling Falls. A contribution of RM 20 per person covers transport and driver's expenses.
For longer, solo trips, check out Extreme Sport activities: Rope Swing, Bungee Jumping offered by thehive.asia . White water rafting is offered by various companies online.
TRIP TO KUALA SELANGOR FIREFLY PARK (26 km away)
This is an evening trip. On the way to the firefly park, we will visit a beautiful Shakti temple and have dinner (optional) at the Penampang Fishing Village by the river mouth. When it is raining or when there is moonlight in the sky, it is not a good time to visit the fireflies, as such, we skip going to the firefly park and visit the lighthouse in Melawati Hill instead.
places to visit along rawang - kl bus route
Here are some places on the bus route from Rawang to Kuala Lumpur City Centre. (The bus can be boarded at the Rawang Bus Terminal)
TEMPLER'S PARK Category: River/Falls
The entrance to the park is on the main road.
KANCHING RIVER/FALLS Category: River/Falls
The entrance to the park is on the main road.
BUKIT TAKUN Category: Trekking / Rock Climbing
- Get down at the Petronas gas station on Templer Park Road and walk to the hill. Climbs must be booked in advance. Here is a booking site. They cater for groups of 1-5 people.
BATU CAVES Category: Culture / Natural Sites
- Get down at the new Warta Shopping Complex and walk to Batu Caves. There is lots of info online regarding this popular tourist attraction.
DARK CAVES (within Batu Caves compound) Category: Caving/ Guided Tours.
- Tours to the dark caves must be booked in advance.
FOREST RESEARCH INSTITUTE OF MALAYSIA Category: Natural Sites/ Trekking/ Guided Tours
- You will have to take a Grab Car from Batu Caves to get to the Forest Research Institute (FRIM). The FRIM Selangor Forest Park (FRIM-SFP) is a 544 ha park consisting of man-made tropical rain forest, a meandering stream (the River Kroh), waterfalls, arboreta, and botanic gardens. It is a site for research and development of tropical rainforest biodiversity and is being considered to be recognised as a UNESCO site. Here is a great article from UNESCO regarding the significance of FRIM. The park charges an admission fee of RM 5.
KL PERFORMING ARTS CENTRE Category: Shows: Culture, Music, Dance/ Natural Sites
- Get down at the entrance of KL PAC on Jalan Ipoh and walk to the venue. It is a nice walk, passing through a park.
- Get down at the last bus stop in KL and walk to Central Market. This is a great place to see and buy ethnic clothes, art and crafts. There is lots of info online regarding this popular tourist attraction.
ISLAMIC ARTS MUSEUM & NEARBY PARKS (bird, butterfly, Tugu)
- Get down at the last bus stop in KL and walk to the Islamic Arts Museum. This is the best museum in KL. There is lots of info online regarding this popular tourist attraction.
- Get down at the last bus stop in KL and walk to Masjid Jamek. This is a great place to buy cheap ethnic clothes like sarongs. There is lots of info online regarding this popular tourist attraction.
- Get down at the last bus stop in KL and walk to Central Market.There is lots of info online regarding this popular tourist attraction.
culture/ shows & happenings in kl
For timely updates on attractions/ what's happening in KL and the Klang Valley, check out Time Out KL